Welcome to Informačné centrum Európsky dom   Click to listen highlighted text! Welcome to Informačné centrum Európsky dom Powered By GSpeech
  1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer

The Csaky manor house, Bijacovce

Late baroque manor house with park was built between the years 1780-1785. It is a two flour building and the park has been claimed for a prevented area. Nowadays there is a school located in this manor house.

Town Spišské Podhradie – center

The town Spišské Podhradie is rich on cultural historic monuments located on two squares. That’s also the reason why it is written in the UNESCO world culture heritage list since the year 1993. The main building is the Roman Catholic Church of the birth of Maria the saint which was build after the year 1258.

The church of the Saint spirit, Žehra

In the pre gothic church of the Saint spirit in Žehra which was built after the year 1275 there are interesting gothic frescos from five periods. The oldest are from 13th century, the youngest from 15th century. Since 1993 is this church also a part of the UNESCO world culture heritage list.

Town Levoča

The town Levoča is finding itself in the middle of a unique Slovak region called Spiš. The oldest archeological findings are from the 9th century. The name of the town has been mentioned for the first time by the king Belo IV, in year 1249. The writing of Stephan V, from the year 1271 is describing Levoča as the capital of the community of the Spiš Sachs.  During its history has Levoča had many rights and privileges. Since 2009 is Levoča a part of the UNESCO world culture heritage list.

Middle age chapel, Hodkovce

In a large park are finding them self four mythological sculptures, a chapel from the year 1803 and rests of small romantic architectures.

Marian mountain

The Marian mountain is together whit the church of virgin Maria visit creating the environment of the town. To the church will guide you a lime tree alley from the 19th century with five chapels. This abrupt road is named after the pope John Paul II, who has been visiting the town in 1995. Each first weekend in July a pilgrimage is taking place here and people from whole Europe are joining it.

The manor house Hodkovce

The baroque classic manor house is located in Hodkovce, part of the village Žehra. Although it was already mentioned in year 1293 historical sense was the manor house given trough the Csaky family who owned the Spiš castle for more than 300 years.

Dreveník 1

It is one of the oldest prevented areas in Slovakia, since 1933. 

Gibbet, Hodkovce

As a part of the village Hodkovce, near the way to the Spiš castle there is a interesting gibbet.

The Spiš castle

In the whole area of Spišské Podhradie is dominating a national culture monument called Spiš castle. It belongs to the largest castles in middle European region. Since 1993 it is a part of the UNESCO list of world culture and natural heritage. The history of the castle is also rich. The bed-rock on which is it located has been settled already in Stone Age. The Spiš castle is one of the most attractive tourist attractions.

The stone bridge, Spišský Hrhov

One of few left historic bridges in Spiš was built at the beginning of 19th century between free king town Levoča and Spišská Kapitula. The interesting thing is, that even nowadays is he used for its primary aim.

Wine cellars

On the 25th September 2013 a ceremonially opening of the wine cellars in European house happened. It was organized in cooperation whit the bishop authority and as a part of the project VIA REGIA – historic wine road Seredné – Spišská Kapitula. One of the main chapters of the project performed by FEMAN whit the ambition to help tourism in Spiš region will be finished.

The Csaky manor house

The land on which the manor house was built belonged at first to Gorgey family. In the year 1885 was the whole land buyed by Earl Vidor Csaky and his wife Ann. He let reconstruct the manor house between the years 1886-1888. Because the result of the reconstruction wasn’t accepted by Earl and his wife, they decided to build a new manor house.

HOTEL KAPITULA

The Hotel Kapitula is placed in sensitively reconstructed object, so called 'Tomanoczy' house, approximately from the half of the 15th century. Whit its comfort it will surprise also the most arduous guests. One of its largest advantages is its location directly in a unique town which is breathing history, knowledge and also rest.

The Jewish synagogue Spišské Podhradie

The synagogue was built in 1875 in late classic style inspired whit oriental architecture. It is a rectangle building. In year 1905 there was a fire which infected also the synagogue. It was reconstructed by the year 1906.

European house

In the year 2005 opened the FEMAN – Slovak European culture association in the reconstructed canonic house no.5 the European house were an Information centre is located. Between the windows on the first floor there is a painting from late baroque period on which saint Michael archangel, the patron of the house is shown together whit the meaning of his name: QUI UT DEUS – THE ONE THAT IS LIKE GOD.

Sivá Brada 1

This place is interesting due to its present activity of four mineral quarries.

The seminary

The formation of the seminary is connected whit the creation of the diocese. Although during the whole middle ages and modern times there was an important school leaded by a cantor and lector since the times of Provost Mathew (1234-1258).

Spišský salaš

For many years is Spišský salaš spreading the tradition of homemade food. Guests are also trying different kinds of spirits. The environment of the salaš is also attractive and make sitting outside during the hot summer months also possible.

The Saint Martin's cathedral

The cathedral was build from 1245 to 1275. According to the architecture it was solved as a three ship basilica whit two towers but without a cross ship
–Transept –. In the middle of 14th century was the chapels Corporis Christi build to the church in its south part. It has been removed while building of the Zapolsky funeral chapel unfortunately by the year 1488. During the time from 1462 until 1468 was a rebuilding of the cathedral from roman to gothic which was planned by the provost for a long time finally realized. By the rebuilding was the church also build two times higher than it was before. In the period 1777 – 1779 was the cathedral changed in baroque style.

More Articles...

  1. The bishop palest
Go to Top Click to listen highlighted text! Powered By GSpeech